Monday, October 3, 2016

The Journey Day 4

While my sugars were a bit higher this morning. I started at 131. Felt very dizzy, took my blood pressure it was 109/58. Nope not a problem there. Made breakfast and took my shower so I could go to Next Steps this morning. By the time I left home at 7:55am, I felt great! I think it was lack of sleep...that darn book again.

The rest of the day looked like this:
Breakfast, 2 eggs poached on a slice of pumpernickel bread. A cup of cinnamon tea and 16.9 oz of water.

My afternoon blood sugar was 126 so coming down.
Lunch was awesome!!!!! I sliced eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, and yellow onion and sprinkled Lawry's seasoning salt on it. Then baked it for 25 minutes. When it came out and I put my portion on my plate, I sprinkled it with Parmesan cheese. I'm so glad I have enough for tomorrow. And I can use other veggies next time, like broccoli, cauliflower, the list is endless.

Dinner tonight was an abbreviated version of the Herb and Parmesan Chicken I posted the other day. I had chicken breast tenders and sprinkled them with oregano, garlic powder, and chopped basil. Baked them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes and made a salad of spinach, 1 stalk of celery, and 1/2 a tomato, with 2T of Italian dressing. Again I have enough for tomorrow.

So, here's what Day 4 should have looked like. (I have learned to experiment).
Breakfast Omelet( 180 calories)
2 small eggs, beaten
2 1/4 oz cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
1/4 of 1 red onion, diced fine
1T grated Parmesan cheese
6 fresh basil leaves
1/8 T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Coat small non-stick frying pan with oil. Add the onions and cook over low heat until nearly soft (about 5 min). If they begin to stick add 1 T of water and cook until it evaporates. Add the tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes or so until they are soft. Transfer to a bowl and clean the pan.

Reheat pan on medium heat: pour eggs into pan and tilt to coat the inside evenly. Do this several times, until the eggs at no longer runny. Cook over medium heat until the eggs have set, the remove from heat and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover with tomato-onion mixture and fold eggs over with spatula. When the eggs are cooked all the way through transfer to a plate and serve hot.

Lunch: Spinach and Kale Soup (110 calories per serving)  This will never be on my diet. I am allergic to Kale cousins and hate cooked spinach.
Ingredients
6 oz ground turkey
2 quarts chicken stock
1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced.
1 stalk of celery sliced
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 oz fresh kale chopped
3.5oz pearl barley
salt and pepper to taste.

Brown turkey in 1 T olive oil. Combine the turkey, stock and barley in a stock pot and simmer for 30 minutes. Then add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and continue to simmer until both vegetables and barley are tender. Serve hot.

Dinner Savory Paprika Beef (242 calories per serving including sides.)
Ingredients
12 oz93-95% lean beef hamburger or 12 oz 100% lean steak, minced.
8 oz white onions, diced
1T paprika
6 oz canned diced tomatoes
1T tomato paste
2T balsamic vinegar
1tsp caraway seed
1/4 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp rosemary
salt and pepper to taste

In non-stick pan, sauté the beef with 2-3 T of water. If it begins to stick, add more water 1T at a time. When the meat is thoroughly done, add the onions and cook until they are tender. Add water 1T at a time as needed.

When onions are soft, add the other ingredients plus 1/2 c water and simmer 30 minutes. If the mixture becomes too thick or begins to stick add 1/4 c water. Simmer until most of the liquid has been reduced; server with these two sides:

#1 1 c steamed carrots, sprinkled with dried basil
#2 1 c steamed cabbage with salt and pepper (Note to self, you are allergic to cabbage do not make).

Enjoy, don't hesitate to adjust for food allergies or dislikes. Change things up so you have a variety.
TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

October Already

 I'm not sure where the time has flown. June was an exiting month. July was a mess. I had a change of medication which caused me to gain...