Monday, June 8, 2015

A-Z Challenge for June

G is for grace.

I am not known for my grace. However, I find grace is all around me. I am graced with wonderful, interesting people in my life. People who show me grace and allow me grace.

Since I have come to South Carolina I have become a volunteer with Next Steps Johns Island. A fledgling program to help those in need. This is not a hand out program, the is a hand-up program. We refer people to agencies and others in the community who can help them.

We've found hearing aids, reading glasses, and sent a person to a job center. We've helped a person keep their home from blowing up as well as with some repairs to said home. We only work from 9am to 1pm on Mondays with participants. The rest of the week we spend our time finding the sources, agencies, and personnel to help them take the next step to improving their lives. It is rewarding when they return and have accomplished what we set up for them to do. It is humbling, they have so much confidence in us. This program could be useful in every state. No it's not run by the government. It's run by trained volunteers with the support of local churches. This work gives me a chance to share grace.

I meet Monday night with a group of people who have become my family of sorts. They bring grace. We study different Bible teachings. We all come from different congregations and religions. We all come for the same reason, to have a better relationship with God. We lift each other up in times of struggles. We come together when one of our little flock is in need.

Soon my Tuesday morning ladies will be meeting again for a different type of Bible study. Again these gatherings abound with grace. They are also filled with love and laughter.  We begin with prayer and end with prayer. What more could you ask for?

The church I belong to is also a second family. It is not a perfect church as the pastor reminds us every week. Nor are we perfect people. There is however, grace in coming together and communing together. They, too, take on the burdens of those in the church family through prayer and MOMS (Meals on Monday). Every Monday morning the ladies take to the kitchen to prepare hot meals for needy families and shut-ins. They try to pack grocery bags to help carry these families through the week. I've seen them in action and they are amazing. Yes, more grace.

So, while I am as clumsy as the next person, I've found ways to bring grace into my life. As a result I am blessed.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

October Already

 I'm not sure where the time has flown. June was an exiting month. July was a mess. I had a change of medication which caused me to gain...