Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Unexpected Surprises

Election day came and went, however I had a dear friend tell me that she did not like the candidates for school board and as she stood in the voting booth was frantically thinking of who she could put for a write-in candidate. Yep, you guessed it, she wrote me in. Most likely the only vote I got as I was not running as a write-in candidate. I was not running at all.

It's nice to know that someone thinks enough of me to even consider I should sit on a school board. I guess after all my years of teaching I could do the job. I've just never considered it. It would also require that I stay in the community during the winter which would not work for me.

Over the years parents have come and gone. However, it's the ones you least expect it, who are the ones in your corner. I've had parents who haven't always seen eye-to-eye with me, but I've never had a confrontational parent. I think the biggest part of that is I listen. I may not always agree with their point of view, but I do listen.

I've had confrontational students. I listened to them too. And the funny thing is, those are the students who have come back as adults to ask for my advice and opinion.

So yes, it was unexpected anyone would think to write me in as a candidate for school board or any other position. But, it meant a lot that she did.  Thanks, Julie.
TTFN

2 comments:

  1. I never underestimate any of my students. I have been surprised in the past because a little bit of encouragement goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never underestimate their parents either. It's amazing what can be accomplished when they have someone who listens.

    ReplyDelete

October Already

 I'm not sure where the time has flown. June was an exiting month. July was a mess. I had a change of medication which caused me to gain...