Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day 11- Eliminate Bad Fats and Oils.

1/3

Yes, one third of the way through the challenge. What have I learned so far. I can do this. I'm not hungry. I need to add more vegetables. I need more exercise. I'm still a work in progress.

Most processed vegetable oils are highly inflammatory, which will lead to serious complications for diabetics; including heart and other diseases. 

So, go through your kitchen NOW and toss the canola oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, crisco oil and shortning. Diets don't work if you are using these items. They are bad for you.

There are good oils. Learn how to cook with olive oil and extra virgin olive oil. Add sesame or walnut oils to your foods. Cook with butter.

Avoid these:
Refined, polyunsaturated vegetable oils, safflower, sunflower, canola, soybean.
Farmed fish, factory feedlot beef, dairy, poultry
Microwave popcorn with butter flavoring
All fast foods, especially deep fried
Most commercial salad dressings and dips.
Most granola bars and processed snacks, including chips and crackers.
Commercial baked goods and mixes for coffee cakes, cookies, brownies, etc.
Mayonnaise
Most veggie burgers
Tub margarines, butter substitutes, and butter blends.

Okay, now that I've eliminated all the stuff we love what is left. I have an answer for that.
Grass-fed beef and dairy products, poultry and eggs
Wild Alaskan salmon, sardines
Fish oil and krill oil supplements
Avocados and avocado oil ( for salads)
Nuts and seeds ( flax and sesame)
Extra virgin olive oil for salads and very low heat cooking
Sesame oil and peanut oil for cooking
Coconut oil for cooking
Dark green leafy vegetables.

Now if you're like me you know all the things on the avoid list and have tried avoiding them in the past. You also know most of the things on the good for you list.  So if we know this, why don't we do it? It's not convenient. We don't like change. We tell ourselves that we are watching our food intake. Or that one trip to a fast food restaurant won't hurt. When the truth is, it does hurt. You have to want to heal or you won't. That much I have learned.

3 comments:

  1. I might as well shoot myself now rather than give up the above foods.

    Life causes cancer and disease. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy, please don't shoot yourself. I'm finding life to be very good since I started this. I took it on for two reasons. One I still need to lose 48.2 pounds and two I need my blood sugars under control so I can be off the damaging medications. It's going to take longer than 30 days, but I needed to start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

October Already

 I'm not sure where the time has flown. June was an exiting month. July was a mess. I had a change of medication which caused me to gain...